Saturday, October 6, 2012

The bright-side of not having a phone


I'm so annoyed with myself for constantly breaking my promise to write a new entry every Sunday. 

I would have posted last Sunday, but it was a long-weekend, the AFL and NRL grand finals were on, and I had things to do, or as John Lennon put it, "life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans".

Since the last post, it's pretty much been business as usual, with the exception of my phone constantly dying on me to the point where I practically don't have even a phone. I actually just have a block of metal that sits uselessly in my bag, mocking me. I really don't understand why '3' lock me into a 24 month plan when they can't even provide me with a handset that lasts for that time. I honestly don't think I've ever had a phone that hasn't broken down on me before my plan ends. It's completely un-Australian if you ask me.

Though, despite the obvious inconveniences and multiple spanners in the works of organising my life, having a faulty phone does have it's benefits believe it or not. For one, I am now a master of both locating and functioning payphones all around Sydney.... You know payphones, right? Those things we stopped noticing on the street back in 2001? 

FOREVER ALONE.

Well, they still exist, and have helped me find my way home on numerous occassions. Though, thinking back on the state of some of the phones I've had to use, I should probably get tested for AIDS..... again.

(LONG STORY! I will elaborate in a later post if I get enough requests).

Having no phone is like a cross between a permanent scavenger hunt and jumping into a DeLorean and going back in time. I have no idea how generations before could survive or flourish without mobile technology. It's only been a few weeks and I already feel completely disconnected.


Even something as simple as meeting with a friend for dinner after work becomes mission impossible and requires a detailed and intricate instruction manual:

"Hey, I'll meet you at Town Hall station at the ticket booths closest to the Woolworths on the QVB side at 6:50. My train will get there at 6:48. If you're not there, I'll wait for you for 20 minutes. If I still can't find you by 7:08, I'll do one last check around the area and go home if I can't find you. If you get there before me, and I'm not there by 7, you can assume that my train is delayed or I have been kidnapped".

The truth is, I could just go buy a cheap phone to last me until my cap renews (January), but I am way too stubborn and Asian about spending money outside of my allocated monthly budget that I'm choosing to live like a pre-technological Amish peasant for now.



In other exciting news, I'm applying for my busking permit next week along with my best friend, so we can busk on the streets of Sydney (mainly the tunnel at Central station) for fun and maybe if we're lucky even earn some extra tax-free dollars. So I'll be voluntarily roughin' it with the old Chinese man playing the erhu and the Indigenous lady selling home-made Aboriginal coasters and pasta-jewelry. I'm actually really excited about this new adventure and I'll be sure to post about all my busking updates and adventures on Facebook.

Speaking of, I've actually created a silly Facebook page for my blog. It would be really great if you're someone who takes the time to read these every so often if you could show some support through liking the page. I promise I won't be annoying. I'll just be updating on new posts and maybe some funny statuses once or twice a week if I can manage to come up with something.

I don't want to make it awkward and invite people individually to join the page, so please, if you can spare the time, just join. It would really mean a lot to me and help with gaining audiences.

And lastly, my default Arj Barker update....


This makes me excited.... in the panties.

Note to self: Include tickets to multiple Arj Barker shows in 2013's monthly budgets.

2 comments:

  1. I believe you should get a phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Good ol' Payphone
    Loving the photo you used, definitely reminiscent of the payphone I used in the summer of 99' along main street at Blacktown. All banged up and graffitied up just the way i like it.

    Great Blog Zerah! about time
    keep it up

    ReplyDelete