Sunday, September 23, 2012

Not sure if another Islamic protest, or if Bulldogs are through to the grand final.

Last night I attended my first live NRL game (semi finals between South Sydney Rabbitohs and Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs).

Rocking the nosebleed section.

As those of you who know me are aware, I'm quite paranoid about worst case scenarios coming to be, so I planned to get there quite ahead of time to have a bite to eat, settle into my seat, have a bathroom break and so on and so forth.

As a result of getting to the stadium early, I managed to make it in time for what I assume is normal for   most sports matches; there was pre-game entertainment in the form of a relay race by teens who I gathered were aspiring NRL players or fans.

After the race was done and the winners were announced, there was a short interview with the testosterone-fueled winning team. Not many words were exchanged in the interview, but instead a simple gesture which apparently said everything they wanted to communicate.

A strong pelvic thrust motion similar to the below.

Now, imagine his hands are gesturing to his crotch area with each forward thrust...
As I watched this 15/16 year old boy eye me through the jumbo screen whilst he suggestively drew my eyes to his nether regions, I had instant flashbacks of my childhood.

I used to live in a really horrific part of Doonside (the real ghetto of Sydney).



What my family didn't realise when we moved into that house is that the street it was on was half occupied by housing commissions. We had the absolute pleasure of witnessing a number of pleasant scenes around the neighbourhood, including Aboriginal kids trespassing on our property and riding their bicycles in our front yard (yes, IN our front yard, ON the flower beds).

I remember looking out the window, semi-fearing for my life and watching one of them look at me and, as if to check-mate me in life, he thrust his pelvis at me similar to how I witnessed last night.

Just as I did back then, last night I asked myself two questions:

A) How did this boy's mother get it so wrong?
B) What does this aggressive pelvic thrusting actually mean!?

I'm aware that kids these days with their hip-hop, and their backwards caps, and their discmans have all sorts of cool lingo and slang, but what does this pelvic thrusting actually mean? Is it a symbolic reference to his masculinity? Is that why those kids rode their bikes over our garden on a regular basis? Someone please explain this to me, because I seem to have missed this class during my time studying at the School of Hard Knocks and the University of Life.



Wanting to beat the traffic home, we left a few minutes early not knowing who had won the game. Driving home amidst the looting on the street by most of Sydney's Middle Eastern population left me confused as to whether I had found myself in the middle of another Islamic protest, or if the Bulldogs had in fact made it through to the grand final...

I was relieved to discover it was the latter.

In other exciting news, I started my new job on Friday. Despite still being in the same building, it felt really fresh and I'm really looking forward to the opportunities and experiences that lie ahead. I loved where I used to work; the culture, the atmosphere. But it was really conflicting for me being someone who strives to excel at everything and not being able to in my role.
I love the media industry, and the 2 years I spent in it were unforgettable, but I just wasn't made for it. But I will be forever grateful to anyone and everyone who helped or supported me along the way.

So it's goodbye to the parties and the freebies, but hello to the beginning of something I can really see myself pursuing for a long time.

And finally, because I don't think it has nearly enough views as I anticipated when posting it, here is a video of me singing a song and stuff...



I'll see you back here next Sunday for next week's post :)


2 comments:

  1. Well...You would have enjoyed it with the right person, and if it was a Parra Game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the action of having both hands move in a karate-chop motion towards the crotch area simply means to 'suck my Di** bit**' This gesture often perceived as rude or insulting to the general public is actually just another theme the nrl has implemented into there sport along with the usual criminally grotesque, immature and sexual overall behavioural conduct.
    Otherwise seen as a funny gesture most league fans take part in to make it on the highlight reel of the foot show.

    S. Hawking
    entertainingly funny blog. Keep on writing gorgeous

    ReplyDelete