Monday, October 22, 2012

If at first you don't succeed, release the scorpions!

I don't know how well you deal with rejection, but as I've previously mentioned in 'Who knew swallowing could taste so good?', I'm a pretty sore-loser. I don't deal with rejection too well, especially if its on something I've actually worked hard on and am proud of.

If I feel that someone has done wrong by me, I have the ability to cut them out of my life and act as if they never existed. In one ruthless motion I can wipe out everything I ever knew about someone if I feel as though they no longer deserve any of my effort. I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing as it is spawn from my own stubbornness, but when the editor of a newspaper rejected a couple of my articles late last year that's what I had set out to do; pretend he never hurt me and cease my readership of the paper as a silent, but justice-serving boycott.

After almost a whole year of successfully shunning the paper, I finally gave in to my desire to persevere, conquer life's obstacles, climb metaphorical mountains, all that stuff... and I submitted another article in to show him I wasn't giving up.
I wrote about something I thought would really touch readers and be a nice, feel-good piece for commuters on their way home. If you have the time, have a read of the article HERE.

I only spent one night on it, but I was really excited about my pilgrimage of determination and endurance and like an idiot, I really thought the editor would be impressed with my positive, never-give-up attitude.

Below is the email "correspondence" that followed from submitting the article. I put correspondence in sarcastic quotation marks because as you will see it was more of a monologue than a dialogue.









Now, I don't normally get "angry". I get upset every now and then, but can usually laugh things off quite easily.
But being shrugged of like this, feeling more neglected than the '9' button on a microwave really fired me up. It made me want to collect all the newspapers at 3pm and set them on fire whilst sandpapering the eyeballs of innocent bystanders. It made me want to breed wasps and scorpions and release them into high traffic locations. I wanted to release an overwhelming blast of volcanic fury which only godzilla could fathom.

.... Not that I would ever do any of that. That's what separates the psychos from the functioning psychos.

Fair enough if he didn't like it, but at least have the decency to let me know where I could improve. The coldness of his response was a clear decider for me to look for writing opportunities elsewhere. Not to mention the typo in his short response was a clear indication of his editing capacity (yes, yes... I know I'm a sore loser who is now hitting below the belt).

What do you think? Am I taking things too personally? Should I keep trying down this avenue?

Leave a comment and let me know your thoughts.

And don't forget to like my Facebook page HERE if you're feeling kind.

'Til next week, friend.

5 comments:

  1. Firstly i think anger is justified with such a response to you. However there are many reason he could have given you such a blunt response. I for one would like to believe this was his deliberate attempt to make you angry, To make you try harder and show him a greater work. He can see your talent but what he wants is not just the raw element of an uncut stone but a glowing gem out shining the most seasoned of writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he might be the editor in disguise

    ReplyDelete
  3. "That's what separates the psychos from the functioning psychos." - Bill Burr

    You're taking this far too personally. Realising that you're writing an amateur submission to a (relatively) popular newspaper, for which there is likely many submissions from the general public, it's safe to say this person has a lot of reading on their plate.

    Thus, when they reject you, it could just be one of the thousands of submissions competing for print that they have had to reject. And while I understand the desire for feedback, sometimes, based on time restrictions, feedback is just not feasible.

    The appropriate response to this would be to ask politely if it's possible for feedback. Whether do or do not give feedback, if this is something you're really interested in, you should keep learning and practicing.

    Keep it up.

    - Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are taking it to personally, im sure they have lots of people putting there ideas & stories in everyday, Its like when you go to a job interview most of the times they will not call you back, but if they do YOU need to ask where could i improve? they will not tell you unless you ask..

    I think sending 2 emails in 1 day and then another the very next morning is FULL ON you sent your first email at 8:50 am and then gave them 5 hours to respond People are busy you need to understand it could take DAYS to get a response you are not their number 1 priority , you need to learn how to deal with rejection better as every single person on this earth deals with rejection at some point, its not just you......

    Dont give up keep trying :) Its time like this you need to listen to Chumbawamba- I get knocked down But i get up again Your never gona keep me down

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe a good egging could resolve you're anger...

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete