Sunday, September 2, 2012

Who's your daddy? A Father's Day Post

Isn't it funny how much one day can make a difference? It's been 2 weeks since my last blog post because last weekend the internet was down at my house, hence I spent most of my time pondering life's purpose and questioning my identity #firstworldproblems style instead of being a productive member of society like everyone else.

In these last 2 weeks, I've managed to end my search for a new job - one which I feel is more true to the kind of thing I can see myself doing long-term (something I guess I couldn't really write about prior to it becoming official). I received a couple of job offers on the same day which was such a blessing for me as I've been searching for a role that I am more suited to for a little while now. It was strange interviewing for jobs when I already had one. It's the first time I've looked for a job with the intention of finding something that I am suited for and that suits me too, rather than just a job I am capable of doing to get me by for the time being.

So to sum it up, I'm moving into a market research role mid-September, in a different company but within the same umbrella as my current company. This means I get to stay in the building I currently work at, which is even more of an added bonus because daily free breakfast and a 20-30 second walk to the train station is hard to come by in this cut-throat world.

I've made it known that this year is all about progression for me, and pursuing the things I want to pursue from an achievment stand-point. But these past 2 weeks it's dawned on me that I'm not a very soft-hearted person. To be honest, I don't know if I ever have been. When people come to me with their problems, I'm the one to whack them on the back and say "she'll be right", "man-up, son!" or more commonly "why don't you go buy a purse to match that skirt you're wearing, Nancy?" - being a stronghold or pillar for someone emotionally has never been my strength as a friend, I guess because I'm so emotionally fragile I'm usually the one in need of this.

This fortnight I managed to make and lose a best friend, and upset a few other people along the way with words I don't realise at the time cut deep. I don't know whether it's because I've been hurt and have built up an emotional resilience or if its a subconscious result of the way I was brought up, but I'm cold and brutal, and that's something else I would really like to improve in myself for the remainder of this year. To become more soft-hearted.

Soft-hearted like my dad. (seamless segue, right?)

Arnold Gallardo - aka coolest Asian you will ever meet. The below screenshot sums him up perfectly.



In light of Father's Day today, I thought I would list a few reasons why my dad is the best dad.

  • Every morning, my dad drives my mum to the train station so she can get the early train to work. My dad then comes back home and picks me up to drive me to the station so I can have a 15 minute sleep in.
  • My dad still packs my lunch for me.
  • My dad still pays for my phone bill. Though, not for much longer.. (see next dot point).
  • My dad writes me emails to tell me how much my phone bill for that month cost. I deflect these emails with replies such as "Sorry, who is this?" and "ERROR. MAIL COULD NOT BE DELIVERED".
  • My dad refers to anything and everything on the internet as being "downloaded". It's his hip 21st century street-speak. (e.g. "Can you download these photos to Facebook?", "All you need to do is download it on Google" and "Can you download the weather for today?"


So in a nutshell, he's pretty much amazing.

And finally.... my big announcement!
&
HTTP://ZERAHGALLARDO.COM  - (still a lot of work to be done/added).

are now live and active! Peruse as you wish!


Do you have any similar father stories? Why is your dad the best?

Leave a comment or share on Facebook if you're feeling kind, otherwise, you can find a new entry on here next Sunday as usual!


2 comments:

  1. You're so beautiful!

    Your secret admirer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. nah she's indescribable . such words do not do her justice .
    giza

    ReplyDelete